Monday, December 14, 2009

Hush Hush - Becca Fitzpatrick


Summary:

For Nora Grey, romance was not part of the plan. She's never been particularly attracted to the boys at her school, no matter how much her best friend, Vee, pushes them at her. Not until Patch came along.
With his easy smile and eyes that seem to see inside her, Nora is drawn to him against her better judgment.

But after a series of terrifying encounters, Nora's not sure who to trust. Patch seems to be everywhere she is, and to know more about her than her closest friends. She can't decide whether she should fall into his arms or run and hide. And when she tries to seek some answers, she finds herself near a truth that is way more unsettling than anything Patch makes her feel.

For Nora is right in the middle of an ancient battle between the immortal and those that have fallen - and, when it comes to choosing sides, the wrong choice will cost her life.

Info:
Pages: 400
Publisher: Simon and Schuster Children's Publishing
Release Date: October 13, 2009
Buy: Amazon / indiebound / Book Depository

Grade:

Originality: 15/20
Characters: 12/15
Writing: 10/10
Voice: 9/10
Ending: 10/10
Entertainment: 10/10
Cover: 10/10
Recommendation: 10/10

Total: 86/100 = B+


Review:

Okay, so I pretty much loved this book. In the beginning, you really get sucked into Nora's story and what she's going through. There isn't many YA books (that I know of) that deal with fallen angels, and it's a really cool topic.

However, I do think that the character's could've been written a little better. Now, don't get me wrong, they were described well and I felt like I could see them in my mind's eye. However, both Nora's and Patch's characters seems really... typical and predictable. They both had their quirks that set them apart, but in the end, both of them seemed like they could be interchangable with another character from a different book that was like them.

Also, some choices that these characters made seemed predictable at times. There were a few twists and turns that I didn't see coming, but it would've been nice to have the few that were predictable to be not as predictable as they were.

Now the bad stuff is over. Because this book was pretty freaking amazing. Fitzpatrick has this way of writing that just keeps you going. You NEED to find out what happens next, what's going to happen to Nora, what is up with Patch. You just HAVE to keep going, you CAN'T put the book down. I was up until four in the morning because I just had to finish reading the book to see how it ended.

Fitzpatrick really created wonderful characters and a wonderful setting. Patch and Nora were really good main characters (besides their predictability at moments). The setting was nice and creepy to go along with the story, too.

Overall, I highly recommend this book. It is amazing and you get sucked into the story right in the beginning. Yes, it's quite predictable at times, but the rest of the book really makes up for that.

hope.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved this book, thanks honey for letting me read it! I agree with your review, but I loved the story line--fallen angels--what a cool topic!
Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

This book was really good. Totally addictive.

JESSJORDAN said...

It definitely had its flaws (for me, Nora's endless carelessness was one), but I loved Hush, Hush. Definitely addictive. Can't wait for Crescendo!

Thao said...

I agree about the character part, especially with Nora. She is a little meek for me

Liviania said...

I do hope some of the flaws are worked out as Fitzpatrick becomes a more experienced writer, but I fully agree with enjoying this one. It was fast and fun.

(Arya) Paige said...

Sounds great! =)

Happy Holidays,
Arya