Monday, September 14, 2009

Review: Hate List by Jennifer Brown


Summary:

Five months ago, Valerie Leftman's boyfriend, Nick, opened fire on their school cafeteria. Shot trying to stop him, Valerie inadvertently saved the life of a classmate, but was implicated in the shootings because of the list she helped create. A list of people and things she and Nick hated. The list he used to pick his targets.

Now, after a summer of seclusion, Val is forced to confront her guilt as she returns to school to complete her senior year. Haunted by the memory of the boyfriend she still loves and navigating rocky relationships with her family, former friends and the girl whose life she saved, Val must come to grips with the tragedy that took place and her role in it, in order to make amends and move on with her life.

Review:

Let me start off by saying that I'm sorry if I start going all fangirly on you. But this book so deserves it.

I started this book when I was in a reading slump, and it was finished the next day. I couldn't put it down. I was so into Valerie's story and what happened to her and how she was trying to rebuild her life after such a tragic, horrible event. One of the things I really like about Hate List is that it's not about a school shooting, it's about people picking up their lives after the actual event of a school shooting.

There really wasn't anything I would change about the book either. Once you start reading you just get caught up in Valerie's story and what's going to happen next.

I would definitely recommend this book to you, even if it sounds like something you wouldn't normally read. I think everyone can enjoy and get something out of this novel. I look forward to seeing what Brown comes up with next. Five out of five hearts.



hope.

6 comments:

Eleni said...

Great review, I agree this book was phenomenal!

prophecygirl said...

I just got this today - it sounds amazing!

A Passion For Books said...

This sounds great! I should be getting my copy soon and I can't wait to start reading it.

Raspberry said...

I must confess, the number of amazing reviews that this book has gotten has totally convinced me. I'll read it. :)
http://twoandahalfbooklovers.blogspot.com/

Sarah said...

I want this one next! :]

Emma said...

This book sounds fantastic. I can't wait to read it!