Thursday, May 6, 2010

Mini Reviews (2)

I have a few more mini-reviews for you!  I'm very behind on my reviewing, so I'm trying to get all caught up by doing these mini-reviews. :)

Title: Star Shack
Author: Lila Castle
Release Date: June 1, 2010
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Pages: 224

Summary: Annabelle and Pete have been summer friends for forever.  Fell in love summer before.  Then Annabelle becomes obsessed with astrology.  Pete hates this.  Annabelle dares him to open an astrology shack with her over the summer to prove to him it works.  He can't say no to dares, so he agrees.  And so the story begins.

Review: I loved this book!  It's not something that I would usually read, but I gave it a try.  Castle's writing is very addicted.  I read the first chapter and I was hooked - I couldn't put it down.  It is a bit predictable, but besides this the book has everything going for it: it's fast paced, it's enjoyable, and the characters are awesome.  I can't wait to read more by Castle in the future. Grade: A.

Title: Party
Author: Tom Leveen
Release Date: April 27, 2010
Publisher: Random House Books for Young Readers
Pages: 240

Summary: It's a story told from eleven different perspectives of the same party on the last day of school in Santa Barbara.

Review:  I just didn't understand the point of this book.  There were eleven different characters, why?  I was wondering that quite a few times for the part of the book I read.  I couldn't even make it to the end.  I read to page fifty, and when I found out I wasn't liking it, I just gave up on it.  My main thing that I didn't like about it was I just didn't get the importance of some of the characters.  Why have a whole part about that particular character when they don't really matter?  I also didn't like the author's writing style.  I probably would've enjoyed the book more if I liked the style of it better.  Grade: F (Couldn't Finish.)

Title: The Family Greene
Author: Ann Rinaldi
Release Date: May 24, 2010
Publisher: Harcourt Children's Books
Pages: 256

Summary: Historical fiction novel about love and family.

Review: I love historical fiction novels.  The Family Greene was a good historical fiction novel.  The setting and storyline were awesome.  Those were the best two things of this book.  However, I found it to be very slow throughout. The plot would be slow, then it would speed up and get exciting, but then it would slow down again.  Rinaldi would've had an even better book on her hands if the plot was worked out a little better to make it smoother.  I feel like a few of the characters were lacking, also.  I would've liked to see the characters have more personality so they weren't so bland. Grade: C.

Title: Deception
Author: Lee Nichols
Release Date: June 8, 2010
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Pages: 336

Summary: Emma's parents go on a mysterious business trip, and instead of being the rebellious teen she wants to be, she ends up having visions and fearing for her life.

Review:  Nichols truly does have a wonderful novel on her hands.  I devoured this book.  Emma is a character that is very easy to read about, and Nichols has a wonderful style.  My only complaint is the cliffhanger at the end!  I need the next book pronto! Grade: A.

All of these novels were reviewed as apart of Around the World Tours.

hope.

No comments: