Monday, March 15, 2010

Review: The Unwritten Rule by Elizabeth Scott

Summary: (from goodreads.com)


Everyone knows the unwritten rule: You don't like your best friend's boyfriend.

Sarah has had a crush on Ryan for years. He's easy to talk to, supersmart, and totally gets her. Lately it even seems like he's paying extra attention to her. Everything would be perfect except for two things: Ryan is Brianna's boyfriend, and Brianna is Sarah's best friend.

Sarah forces herself to avoid Ryan and tries to convince herself not to like him. She feels so guilty for wanting him, and the last thing she wants is to hurt her best friend. But when she's thrown together with Ryan one night, something happens. It's wonderful...and awful.

Sarah is torn apart by guilt, but what she feels is nothing short of addiction, and she can't stop herself from wanting more...


Info:
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Pages: 224
Release Date: March 16, 2010


Grade: B+


Review:


Elizabeth Scott is one of my favorite authors.  I haven't read one of her books that I haven't liked and The Unwritten Rule wasn't any different.  I don't know how Elizabeth Scott does it, but she can write very real, very serious books like Living Dead Girl, and then she can go and write this book, which is a very cute book.


If you're looking for a serious book, The Unwritten Rule isn't it.  It's not one of those reallllly cutesy books, like the Simon Rom Coms, but it's not a really serious novel either.  It's kind of in the middle, leaning more towards a cutesy type novel.


This didn't disappoint however.  I still loved The Unwritten Rule.  It's not a situation every girl has been in, but I can still see lots of girls being able to relate to Sarah's character, even if they haven't been in her situation.


I would say there are only two downfalls to this book.  First, it's not Scott's usual style.  If you're a big fan of Scott, it's still the same writing style - you'll still like it - it just doesn't have that serious tone to it.  Second, the size... you get so into the book when you're reading it, that by the time it's over, you'll want more! :]


Overall, The Unwritten Rule is a great read.  If you've read Scott before, definitely read this one!  And if you've never read Elizabeth Scott before, where have you been living?!  Must read any of her books, pronto! :]


hope.


I received this book for review, and I was in no way, shape, or form paid for writing this review.

5 comments:

Maria said...

Great review! I can't wait for this novel :D

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

This is one I have had my eye on. Thanks for a good review :)

Ng said...

Great review. I've just gotten my first book by Elizabeth and I look forward to reading it!

Liviania said...

I like cutesy books - especially during the spring.

Loraine said...

I just read the book, I enjoyed reading your review, here's mine: http://lorxiebookreviews.blogspot.com/2012/07/the-unwritten-rule-by-elizabeth-scott.html

Have a nice day! :)

p.s. i love your "about me", im 17 too! =)