Monday, February 15, 2010

Review: Gone by Lisa McMann


Summary: (from amazon.com)

Janie thought she knew what her future held. And she thought she’d made her peace with it. But she can’t handle dragging Cabel down with her.

She knows he will stay with her, despite what she sees in his dreams. He’s amazing. And she’s a train wreck. Janie sees only one way to give him the life he deserves: She has to disappear. And it’s going to kill them both.

Then a stranger enters her life — and everything unravels. The future Janie once faced now has an ominous twist, and her choices are more dire than she’d ever thought possible. She alone must decide between the lesser of two evils. And time is running out. . . .


Info:
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Pages: 224
Release Date: February 9, 2010

Grade:
Originality: 20/20
Characters: 10/15
Writing: 9/10
Voice: 9/10
Ending: 8/10
Entertainment: 8/10
Cover: 10/10
Recommendation: 8/10

Total: 82/100 = B-

Review:
Let me start out by saying that I love Lisa McMann's style of writing and the Wake trilogy. However, I felt like Gone wasn't as good as the first two books in the series.

McMann's style of writing is still there. But the character's to me just felt... different. Janie was still Janie, but she felt like a whole different person. Cabel was still the Cabel we all know and love, but he just felt... too nice and too forgiving in this installment.

I still didn't feel closure after this final book. I still feel like there are some questions that were left unanswered that I want answers to. I still feel like there's more to Janie and Cabel's story that we could be finding out about, because this just didn't feel like a final book.

However, I was entertained throughout the whole story. The stranger was definitely an interesting twist that I didn't see coming at all. McMann takes a different twist in this book that doesn't have the action that the first two books have, but it has a more personal story.

If you can get past the difference from the action filled first two books to Gone which has a more personal story in it, then you will love it. I liked the story, I just wish it was more like the first two and that it answered a few of my questions that were left unanswered. If you liked this series, I still recommend getting this book and reading it, though it may not be your favorite in the series.



hope.

1 comment:

Maria the Bookworm said...

I can't wait to read this. Great review! :)