Sunday, September 21, 2008

House of Dance - Beth Kephart


"Are you ready?" he asked me.
I nodded. "I am."
"Step forward, then," he said. "And let it happen."


Summary (from back of the book):

Rosie and her single mother coexist in the same house as near-strangers. Since Rosie's father abandoned them ears ago, her mother has accomplished her own disappearing act, spending more time with her business partner than with Rosie. Now faced with losing her grandfather too, Rosie begins to visit him every day, traveling across town to his house, where she helps him place the things that matter most to him "In Trust." As Rosie learns her grandfather's story, she discovers the role music and motion have played in it. But like colors, memories fade. When Rosie stumbles into the House of Dance, she finally finds a way to restore the source of her grandfather's greatest joy.

Review:

This is one of those books that is worth heading over to the bookstore to get instead of waiting for the library to get it. It will grab you with the first chapter and have you reading until the end.

Rosie's emotions are real in this story. They don't seem fake at all. Also, the descriptions are really nice. I felt like I was there with Rosie as she traveled, as she cleaned out her grandfather's house, and when she was with Nick.

One thing that I liked a lot about this book was that it didn't focus solely on romance. Don't get me wrong, I love reading romance books, but it was nice to read a book where you don't hear about the guy sucking off the girl's face all the time. The romance in this book was really subtle - the author didn't mention it much, but it was inferred, so that you knew it was happening.

The book has really good meaning to it. It is definitely something that I will read again in my future.



You should read this book if: You have just lost a loved one. Or if you just want a good read.

You shouldn't read this: If you are looking for a light read.

hope.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, to see that you liked it that much i'm going to have to check it out. It never caught my attention until now. I also wanted to stop by and let you know i'm having a contest so stop by.

Beth Kephart said...

Oh! This is such a beautiful review. I am so grateful! I'm going to post a link to it on my own site...

I'll have that up in a bit, but for now, please know how appreciative I am.

Beth
www.beth-kephart.blogspot.com

Anna said...

Book~Adorer - Thanks for letting me know! I'll check it out and add it to the sidebar later. :D

Beth - No problem. :D It was well deserved.

Em said...

Isn't this just a fabulous book? :-)

Anna said...

Yes it is, indeed. :D

Lenore Appelhans said...

Gotta read this one!

Melissa Walker said...

I really adored this one, too, and you eloquently reviewed what really sings in the book. Great job!

Anna said...

Lenore - Yes, you do! It's great.

Melissa - Thanks. :D

hope.