Friday, August 12, 2011

Review: My Not-So-Still Life by Liz Gallagher

Summary:

Vanessa is wise beyond her years. She's never really fit in at school, where all the kids act and dress the same. She's an artist who expresses her talent in the wacky colors she dyes her hair, her makeup and clothes. She's working on her biggest art project, and counting the days until she's grown up and can really start living. That adult world seems closer when Vanessa gets her dream job at the art supply store, Palette, where she worships the couple who runs it, Oscar and Maye. And she's drawn to a mysterious guy named James, who leads her into new, sometimes risky situations. Is she ready for this world, or not?

Review: 

I loved Liz Gallagher's first novel, The Opposite of Invisible. I gobbled it up - I read it in one day. However, I was a little bit disappointed with this novel.

I didn't have a problem connecting with the characters. I connected with all the main characters and could understand where they were coming from when they were talking. That wasn't a problem.

The other thing I didn't have a problem with was the setting. The setting was wonderfully described and I could picture it clearly in my head as I was reading, which I love.

Now, unto a few problems I saw with the novel. It dragged along for a good portion of the novel. I had a hard time connecting with the plot line itself because it just moved slowly throughout the novel.

I also felt that the plot line was a little weak and that a little more needed to be added to the story. I'm not exactly sure what exactly needed to be added, but I know that something was missing.

Overall, this book was a nice, short, predictable read with great characters and setting.


Grade: B-/C+

No comments: