Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Review: So Much Closer by Susane Colasanti

Summary: 

When Brooke's crush, Scott, moves from their suburban town to New York City, she decides to follow him there. Living with her formerly estranged dad and adapting to a new school are challenging, and things go from bad to worse when Brooke learns that Scott already has a girlfriend. But as she builds her new life, Brooke begins to discover a side of herself she never knew existed. And as she finds out, in the city that never sleeps, love can appear around any corner..

Review: 

This review has been hard for me to write. Let me start by saying that I absolutely LOVE Susane Colasanti's previous novels. I mean, I adore them. I re-read them all the time, and I love them every single time. I can always expect Colasanti's novels to be fun, flirty, and cute.

However, So Much Closer let me down. I found it to be very unrealistic. How many teenage girls would really follow a guy to New York City after she had just talked to her once? I know I wouldn't uproot my whole life just for a guy that didn't know I existed.

I also found it very hard to relate to the main character. Her thinking was just so... weird. I didn't understand why she was acting the way she was, and her thinking was never really supported in the novel. She just didn't make sense sometimes.

I guess those were my two main issues in this novel. The one positive that I did enjoy was that Colasanti had the setting described extremely well. While I was reading, even though I couldn't relate to any of the characters, I felt as if I could see everything they were seeing, because the setting was described very well.

Overall, if you want to read a Susane Colasanti novel, I don't recommend this one. It was just very unrealistic, and I couldn't relate to the characters. That being said, I do recommend all of her previous novels.


Short Review:

This disappointed me.  Read Colasanti's other books instead of this one.

Grade: C-.

No comments: