Thursday, July 7, 2011

Review: Desires of the Dead by Kimberly Derting

Desires of the Dead (The Body Finder, #2)Summary:

Violet can sense the echoes of those who've been murdered—and the matching imprint that clings to their killers. Only those closest to her know what she is capable of, but when she discovers the body of a young boy she also draws the attention of the FBI, threatening her entire way of life.

As Violet works to keep her morbid ability a secret, she unwittingly becomes the object of a dangerous obsession. Normally she'd turn to her best friend, Jay, except now that they are officially a couple, the rules of their relationship seem to have changed. And with Jay spending more and more time with his new friend Mike, Violet is left with too much time on her hands as she wonders where things went wrong. But when she fills the void by digging into Mike's tragic family history, she stumbles upon a dark truth that could put everyone in danger.


Info:
Other Books in Series: The Body Finder
Publisher: Harper Teen
Release Date: February 15, 2011
Source: Bought
Goodreads page: here.

Review:

As you can tell by my review of The Body Finder, the first novel in the series, I loved it.  Desires of the Dead was no exception.  I went in with high expectations for it, and for the most part, they were met and exceeded.

Derting has this way of writing that just draws you in.  Once you start reading, you cannot stop.  You have to keep reading to find out what happens.  The characters are easy to relate to.  Violet is a great main character.  I can understand why she thinks as she does and why she takes action the way she does.

These novels are very thrilling.  The first one was so thrilling that I read the novel in just about two days.  However, I think the thrill for this one fell a little short for me.  While I still had to find out what happened, I felt that there were a few dull, slow-paced points in the novel.  I feel as if this did not take anything away from the novel - it was still amazing.

And then there's Jay. *sigh*  He deserves is own paragraph for being so cute and loving towards Violet.  He is really what makes the romance as great as it is in these novels.

Overall, I recommend this series to everyone.  It's one of the best young adult series out there, and I can't wait until the third book comes out in 2012! 

Grade: A!

2 comments:

Liviania said...

I love the first one so I'm glad to hear the second one is good too.

Sara said...

Great review!
I have heard great stuff about this series, and can't wait to read it myself! Think I might buy it this summer :)