Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Review: Mia the Magnificent by Eileen Burgess

Summary: (from amazon.com)



After one summer at the Little Tykes Theatre, Mia Fullerton is meek no more, but that doesn t make her life any easier not in her sophomore year at St. Hilary's, when her best friend Lisa forces her into a dangerously big part in The Music Man. Not when her ex-boyfriend, Tim, is teaching her little brother Chris to treat women like objects. And not when she learns to drive with serious repercussions. Who is Mia? Is she an independent girl like Zoë, her acerbic goth friend from Little Tykes? She d like to be that s why she's volunteering to be onstage for the first time, in a show populated by her first ex and childhood crush Jake, her arch-nemesis Cassie, and new girl in town Alyssa. That s why it's so important she overcome the bizarre driving instruction of St. Hilary's janitor Mr. Corrigan to earn her driver s license, and therefore her freedom. Or is she the girl who misses Tim, even after the way he betrayed her? Tim is smart, funny, and likeable in a distinctly obnoxious way, and he s determined to win Mia back even if he has a funny way of doing so, dating both Cassie and Alyssa at the same time, behind both their backs. Can Mia forgive Tim? Should she instead choose Eric, Zoë s cousin, a nicer and more respectful choice in every way? Or would either choice defeat her goals of independence? And when the worst-case scenarios rear their heads when Mia is forced into the lead in The Music Man, when her first night out on the road goes horribly, when Chris appears headed entirely to the dark side does Mia on her own have what it takes to set things right? Between dog costumes and stage costumes, big embarrassments and bigger chickens, bad singing and worse crashes, and everything else that could possibly go wrong, Mia the Magnificent is a hilarious, clever, and endlessly fun novel, and the best installment yet of the Mia Fullerton series.



Info:
Pages: 161
Publisher: Barncroft Press
Date: January 4, 2010


Grade:
Originality: 15/20
Characters: 15/15
Writing: 10/10
Voice: 10/10
Ending: 9/10
Entertainment: 9/10
Cover: 5/10
Recommendation: 10/10

Total: 88/100 = B+




Review:


When I first started reading Mia the Magnificent, I'm not going to lie to you, I wasn't expecting it to be as good as it was.  It seemed like a middle grade book, and you know how I am about cartoon covers.


So, when I started reading, I didn't expect to find a one of a kind main character, Mia, who is a great role model for girls.  I didn't expect to find more than one scene that made me laugh out loud (very loud, I might add).  However, this is what I found.


Some of the scenes in this book were very cliche.  However, it didn't distract from the book.  There was enough scenes in the book that were insanely original.  


Mia is a character that everyone can relate to. Even if you've never been in any of her situations, which I know I haven't, you can still find some way or another to relate to her.  I found her to be a very likable character who is a very good role model to the readers.


This is a book I can definitely recommend.  I would maybe recommend getting it from the library, however even if you buy it, I don't think you'll be disappointed.


hope.

I received this book from the author for review.  I was in no way, shape, or form paid for writing this review.

1 comment:

D Swizzle said...

I don't think I'd really start this thinking it would be the next Harry Potter or something, so I guess I can't be disapointed.