Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Interview with Danielle Joseph!


Danielle Joseph is the author of the debut book Shrinking Violet, which was released today! Check back tomorrow for the review of Shrinking Violet. =)

----

How was your road to publication different than how you expected?

It took a little longer than I expected, but I was learning along the whole journey. Even when I got frustrated with rejections, I never wanted to give up. I knew that writing was a part of my soul. I feel happy when I write and miss it if I go too long without it.

What is your favorite part of being an author?

I like the fact that I’m actually getting paid to do something that I love. Being an author is my dream job! I’m also so happy that I’m able to share my stories with others, especially teens and hopefully have people connect with my characters.

What kind of music do you listen to?

Do you have a certain playlist you listen to while writing? I really listen to all types of music from reggae to world music to alternative rock. I listen to more contemporary music when I write, with a bit of old school. I have a playlist on my web site for Shrinking Violet. Basically, like my main character Tere, I could not live without music.

What is your favorite place to read? To write?

I like to read on the couch in my living room, under the big window with natural sunlight shining in or on the beach! When I’m working on a new manuscript, I switch between writing at home in my office and out in a bookstore cafĂ© or coffee shop. I love to have the piped in music and soft chatter of people in the background. But when I’m editing, I prefer the quiet of my office.

What is your daily schedule like?

It’s a bit hectic since I have kids but I try to write while they are in school. Then on the weekends or occasional weeknights, I sneak away to a coffee shop and get some writing done. Often when I’m working on a manuscript, I give myself a daily word goal and try my very best to stick to that goal.

Who has had the greatest inspiration on your writing career?

There are so many people who have touched me in one way or another. Many of my teachers, from first grade and up, encouraged me to write and cheered me along the way. My parents always urged me to pursue my writing and I’ve read so many great books along my journey that have inspired me. I’m a huge fan of Maya Angelou, Ayn Rand and Ernest Hemmingway.

What kind of writer are you: an outliner or a go-with-the-flow kind?

I’d say I’m a bit of both. I start out going with the flow and then when I get a few chapters down, I stop to regroup. I might do a very brief chapter by chapter outline at that point or just write down a few points I’d like to address in the book. Mostly I like to insert notes for myself in the actual document of stuff that I would like to see happen later in the book.

How was your road to publication different than what you expected?

The only difference was the time that it took. Some people don’t realize that most of us don’t wake up, write a book, snag an agent and then the first editor that reads your manuscript publishes it. I had a few close calls with another book that I wrote but in the meantime I was working on Shrinking Violet and ultimately that became my first book.

What is your advice to teens who want to be authors?

I’m going to answer free form: Write, read and observe. Be yourself. Listen and learn from others. Don’t be afraid to ask questions, always write for yourself first and never give up☺!

If you could be anything else, besides an author, what would you want to be?

If I had the talent I would love to be a singer. But unfortunately my singing abilities would only land me a coveted spot on American Idol’s audition week where they throw together a montage of all the crappy wannabe singers.

Thanks, for interviewing me Hope! I really enjoyed answering your questions☺!

Thank you, Danielle. =)


hope.

No comments: