Monday, October 6, 2008

Living Dead Girl - Elizabeth Scott




Once upon a time, I was a little girl who disappeared.
Once upon a time, my name was not Alice.
Once upon a time, I didn't know how lucky I was.

Summary (from jacket flap):

When Alice was ten, Ray took her away from her family, her friends - her life. She learned to give up all power, to endure all pain. She waited for the nightmare to be over.

Now Alice is fifteen and Ray still has her, but he speaks more and more of her death. He does not know it is what she longs for. She does not know he has something more terrifying than death in mind for her.

This is Alice's story. It is one you have never heard, and one you will never, ever forget.

Review:

Elizabeth Scott has done it again. Living Dead Girl is an amazing, gripping novel that will have you hooked, wanting to know Alice's story.

The topic is something that has never been touched upon by young adult authors and I'm glad that Elizabeth Scott was brave enough to get it published - knowing that some people would probably criticize her about her choice of topic.

The book is told in alternating chapters of Alice's live before and then back to the present. You are constantly learning new stuff about Alice, and that's what really makes this story extra unique.

One of my favorite things, however, is that the ending is left to your imagination. You know what happens dealing with Ray, but you can leave what happens after that all up to your own imagination. I like novels like that where the author doesn't give a play-by-play about how the characters life is, but lets you leave it to your imagination.

Living Dead Girl is a book that will leave you wondering, a book you will never ever forget.


hope.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved this book. I too liked the ending as it's open to interpenetration. I know what I thought happened at the end. But the genius is that it could be anything. Ms. Scott really delivered with this one!!!!

-Mollie

MySharonAnne said...

Just read this last night. I liked it but I kind of prefer books with closed endings.

Zoe said...

I haven't read this book yet, but when I see it, I will most likely but it.

Yea, I'm fine with doing a link exchange.

- Zoe