Monday, May 19, 2008

Violet on the Runway by Melissa Walker




Violet is just your normal girl living in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. Besides the fact that she is extremely tall and doesn't feel like she fits in at all, unless she's hanging with her two best friends Roger and Julie. That was until Violet meet Angela at her job at the movie theater.

Angela is an agent for Tryst Modeling company in New York City. Violet goes to go-sees and gets booked for four shows for Fashion Week. She's a big hit, and is instant star. But she also figures out that modeling isn't all she thought it might be, espically when she finds that no one is really there for her.

Violet on the Runway was an excellent book. I had to beg and plead to my librarian to get this book, and when it finally came I was so excited, I just sat down and read it in a few hours. Now I'll have to beg and plead for my librarian to get the second book so I can read it!

Not everybody will be found as a model when their working their job, but Violet still deals with things that most people do, which is what I think I enjoyed the most about Violet on the Runway. Violet is very insecure, mostly because of her height, which people used to make fun of. She also wants to be popular, which I would argue most of us all wanted in school at one point or another (at least I have).

I guess what my point has been in that rambling up there is that what happened to Violet most likely will not happen to us in our lives, but she deals with the same stuff that we do, just in a bigger sense, and Melissa Walker is great at writing so that you really feel the emotions of the book. If you haven't read Violet on the Runway yet, you really should.

hope.

2 comments:

Axa said...

Argh! I want to read it so bad...

Melissa Walker said...

Thanks, Hope! So glad you liked it... and you totally won one of my contests today so email me your address... (teenfictioncafe contest...)