Thursday, March 27, 2008

A Little Friendly Advice - Siobhan Vivian




Ruby's sixteenth birthday is going pretty good. She's enjoying her time with friends and she loves the camera that her mom got her. Then, unexpectedly, her father shows up only after about, oh, ten years of nothing from him. She doesn't know what to do, and him coming just brings up painful memories from her childhood.

By her father coming, Ruby learns things about family and friends, though mostly friends. She finds someone she thinks she might just love, too. But with friend and family issues getting in the way, will she really be able to love him?

Siobhan Vivian wrote an excellent debut novel. I can now see why she was included in The Class of 2k8. The book is down-to-earth, and you can relate to the characters - especially Ruby - in one way or another. The style of the book reminds me of a Sarah Dessen book. The story is real, the characters are real, they deal with real, down-to-earth problems that every teenager does.

I hope that Siobhan Vivian writes another book soon! This one is on my favorites list now, and I know it will be one of yours, too.

hope.

3 comments:

Rachael Stein said...

i loved this book too!!

Tasha said...

I adored this blog tons! I'll be doing an interview with Siobhan soon, so keep an eye out.

Trish said...

This is definitely one of my all-time favorite books. I think partly because it's set in Ohio (my home state) but also because Ruby was a sympathetic character and Charlie... I like him!