Sunday, February 17, 2008

Reviews. [:

I've got some reviews for you. [: I've finished three books so far. I will post the title, author, summary, and then my review of the book for each book I review.

Here they are!

Title: Love and Other Four Letter Words
Author: Carolyn Mackler

Summary: When she and her mother move to an apartment in New York City after her parents decide on a trial separation, sixteen-year-old Sammie learns to deal with her mother's fragile mental state, her best friend's self-centeredness, several new friendships, and her own budding sexuality.

[Thanks to Barnes and Noble.]


Review:This book deals with what many teens have to deal with today - trial seperation, the step right before the big D word - divorce.

Although my parents are still together, I could still feel what it was like for Sammie. I felt like I could really connect with her even though I have never been through what she has.

I loved how Sammie changed by the end of the book. She realizes things about people she's known forever - her mom, her dad, her best friend Kitty, even her mom's friend's son, Eli.

This book was really cute, and I think that Carolyn Mackler makes it so everybody can relate to Sammie even if they haven't been put through the same situation.


5/5 Stars. [:

Title: Give a Boy a Gun
Author: Todd Strasser

Summary: Ripped from today's headlines comes the story of two high school students who are out for revenge. Armed with stolen rifles, they terrorize a high school dance -- holding classmates and teachers hostage. In quotes from the teens involved, as well as from their classmates, teachers, and family members, we learn what has led two otherwise unexceptional boys to this fateful moment. Todd Strasser uses stunning detail and true facts about school violence to illustrate the hostile epidemic that is upon us.

[Thanks to Barnes and Noble.]

Review: This book was absolutely amazing. I love how he interviewed people that actually survived a real school shooting and survived. When they were speaking, I felt like I was there... like I was a part of the intensity.

There was also interviews with the two guys' friends on how they acted before the shooting and things they did.

Don't get me wrong, it's not like your normal, boring non-fiction book. This was more... and it hits home because there are many school shootings that happen in America each year. You never think it's going to happen to you then BOOM. It does.

This book is really good and I recommend it to anybody.

Title: Beastly
Author: Alex Flinn

Summary: I am a beast.

A beast. Not quite wolf or bear, gorilla or dog but a horrible new creature who walks upright—a creature with fangs and claws and hair springing from every pore. I am a monster.

You think I'm talking fairy tales? No way. The place is New York City. The time is now. It's no deformity, no disease. And I'll stay this way forever—ruined—unless I can break the spell.

Yes, the spell, the one the witch in my English class cast on me. Why did she turn me into a beast who hides by day and prowls by night? I'll tell you. I'll tell you how I used to be Kyle Kingsbury, the guy you wished you were, with money, perfect looks, and the perfect life. And then, I'll tell you how I became perfectly . . . beastly.

[Thanks to Barnes and Noble.]


Review: This, too, was an amazing book. I have always loved the Disney movie Bueaty and the Beast and I love how Alex Flinn re-did it to happen in modern-day New York.

When you think it's the end of the book, unexpected turns happen that will have you reading until the very end.

It has a wonderful fairy tale ending, too. I would recommend this to anybody. [:


je t'amie.
Hope. [:

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

great reviews! i think you convinced me to get love and other four letter words :D

Melissa Walker said...

i adored love and other four letter words! it was carolyn mackler's first, right? so sweet.

Chelsea said...

I loved the first two, and your review of Beastly makes me want to run upstairs right now and start my copy. Great reviews. :) Can't wait to see more from you.